Suggest treatment for cough and headaches

Posted on Mon, 27 Apr 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am no stranger to headaches but last night I got one that was different then any other I've had. It doesn't go away but subsides when I sit or lie down, take it easy etc. when I stand up it starts throbbing painfully or if I cough or clear my throat it is also extremely painful. I have never had a headache like this and have no idea what to make of it. I would appreciate any feedback.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low pressure headache needs to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and these could represent low pressure headaches due to CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak. This leak can occur due to small break in dura (covering of brain or spinal cord). This condition results in headache when sitting or standing, which subsides on lying down. Headache also increases on coughing or sneezing.

As of now, you can take Ibuprofen tablets for relief.

However, if the symptoms persist, please get evaluated by a neurologist.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist