• question-icon

Suggest treatment for constipation, diarrhea and abdominal pain

Posted on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: since May 31st been sick. stomach pain after I eat with constipation, rumbling noises and diarrhea. went to my stomach Dr yesterday he checked my prostate that was normal, checked for blood no blood and dis a test for bacteria when I blow into a box and that was negative.

Sent me for blood work to check my blood and picked up a stool kit that I used and returned today to check for parasites.

He gave me a sample of Linzess I took one today on an empty stomach and ate after that is when I experienced rumbling noises and had watery stool. Should I have waited a few hours after I took Linzess? I go back to him next month. Any idea what I might be dealing with?

Update nothing found in my blood or stool culture.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
irritable bowel syndrome with constipation(IBS-C) is likely to be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two scenarios to be considered in your case. The first is irritable bowel syndrome where diarrhea and hyperactive bowels may sometimes be alternate with constipation. The second scenario is that of simple constipation which may also alternate with diarrhea. Linzess (linaclotide) is effective in both irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) as well as chronic idiopathic constipation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Is it normal to have this for the whole month of may? i have two linzess left should I take one to see what happens?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Linzess can help.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is often observed throughout the month. It is not normal though. Take Linzess as prescribed and I hope that you would get some relief.

if it's not normal it might be something else?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is an ailment for which the medicines have been given.

Detailed Answer:
You cannot consider having an ailment like irritable bowel syndrome to be 'normal'. You would therefore need to deal with it and the steps have been discussed.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha