Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

159 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic itching on the body

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 3697 Questions

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes. I have had extreme itching all over my body for 6 months now.
I've been to a dermatologist who has me on Loratadine (10mg), Hydroxyzine HCL (25mg), and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream. Temporary relief, but burning itching pain reoccurs even between doses.

A year ago I had umbilical hernia repair surgery with a Teflon mesh. Am I allergic to it? Is it deteriorating? etc.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer few questions, undergo laboratory tests

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and need to ask you few questions:
Is itching associated with rash or is it without any skin rash?
Are you having dry skin or history of allergic rhinitis or asthma or eczema?
What are the sites most severely affected with itching?
Are you having any other ailments and taking any medicines?
Have you got any blood tests done as sometimes itching can be an indicator of a systemic disease.
I would recommend you to get the following tests done like thyroid function tests, complete blood count, liver function tests, kidney function tests, absolute eosinophil count, fasting blood sugar and serum IgE levels.
Meanwhile you can continue with Loratidine in the morning and can take tablet Hydroxyzine 25 mg in the afternoon and night.
Apply a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin on the entire body along with triamcinolone acetonide cream.
You have mentioned about umbilical hernia surgery but allergy to teflon mesh is a very rare occurence. I don't think your itching should be related to it.
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 56 minutes later
I have had rashes due to minor infections after I have scratched the areas--that usually heals up after I stop scratching and return to my medication. I am not experiencing dry skin.

I don't really have any previous history of this. Also, my food has not changed. Furthermore, I have always used and continue to use the mildest of body soaps and the same mild laundry detergent.

I have had itching across my abdomen, my sides, inner upper arms, forearms, groin, and behind knees. In these areas, itching will subside after weeks of torment, then flare up again.

I have not had any blood work done for this--no one had recommended that before. (I suppose XXXXXXX health care does not want to prescribe these until cheapest methods have been exhausted first.) I had visited a couple of general practitioners and then a dermatologist twice. I am scheduled to visit a different dermatologist in April.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
High potency steroid, increase frequency of hydroxyzine

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it could be due to eczema which is most likely endogenous in nature due to internal sensitivity of the individual.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a high potency steroid like clobetasol propionate cream diluted in a moisturising lotion in the ratio of 1:3 on the affected areas twice daily.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Also increase the frequency of intake of antihistaminic like take tablet Hydroxyzine 25 mg twice daily: afternoon and night.
If possible get your blood tests done so that we can rule the possible causes of itching.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Dry skin

doctor1 MD

About 5 weeks ago my husband came home and started scratching all over his body. Then about a week later I started to have the same problem. We started using Eucerin skin calming itch relief cream and it seemed to help but then we both would start...

doctor1 MD

I developed a rush on my penis Can you recommend a cream that would be affective for that?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, which soap is best in the market to maintain rich skin tone and get a satisfactory refreshing feeling?

doctor1 MD

My pcp checked me for hernia last week then referred me to a surgeon. I had hernia surgery 2yrs ago, where the surgeon used mesh to repair the hernia. My pain is on the same side as my first hernia. The surgeon checked me today and felt there was no hernia, and ordered a ct scan in avfew days. He seemed concerned though with my pain and it's location. The pain is directly over my first surgery site, it's deep and aching and travels down in my right testicle. I feel very nevous about what it could be, if it's not hernia. Are there any concerns of a mass or tumor or cancer? Is that why he ordered a ct scan? Also I've had 2 spinal fusions L4-S1 and a spinal stimulator implant in the last 3yrs. Any chance this issue could be related to my back issue? I'm 33yrs old... My apologies for all questions, but I'm concerned this is something more serious than what I thought...

doctor1 MD

For the past 2 plus years I have had a flat red rash that starts on my neck and works it s way around the whole of my neck. It becomes hot, sore, and can be there for days. When it does go down I can pull little bits of skin off - a bit like sunburn . It s appearance looks a bit like I have been burnt. The skin can become taught. It can come and go on it s own accord. It normally starts when I feel my neck tingleing and some timed it can be itchy - quite itchy when it s completely around the whole of my neck. The doctors haven t been able to advise what it is and just tell me to moisturise it.