Suggest treatment for chills and fever

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my boyfriend was not wearing a mask while he was tearing out drywall, insulation and ceramic tile from a bathroom. what are the symptoms and is there any suggestion for at home treatment?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Kindly answer the following to advise accordingly

Did he have chills and sweats immediately after exposure ?

Is there associated shortness of breath or a fever ?

Is he allergic to any of these components /products that you described ?

What medications is he currently using ?

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 55 minutes later
He had sweats and chills about 12 hours after exposure. He seems to have a slight fever. He is mostly complaining of the soreness of his throat. It feels raw and like needlepoints. He has been coughing but no phlegm. We are not aware of any allergies he may have to the components/products. He is not on any medications.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Thanks for the info.

Your boyfriend is most likely suffering from an allergic reaction to the insulation /ceramic tile material dust which may have been inhaled. The area should be washed and clothe's should be changed to avoid further exposure to any particulate matter.

The chest needs to be examined /auscultation for clinical evidence of respiratory distress such as wheeze /ronchi etc. Oxygen saturation via pulse oximetery should also be checked for. Salbutamol and beclomethasone nebulization can be done. If there is respiratory distress then intravenous corticosteroid and antihistamine shot can be administered. Fever should be monitored and blood counts can be done along with chest x ray if the fever keeps spiking. If the TLC count is raised with positive finding on chest x ray then antibiotic can be added to cover for any superimposed lower respiratory tract infection.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr. M.S Khalil