Can Losartan be discontinued abruptly?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on losrtan for 5yrs my Dr upped my dosage 50 to 2 50 's twice a day. My BP has never been consistent so I never thought much about it when it was upped until 5 days ago when the side effects became extremely noticeable sweating,dry mouth a cough,runny nose, unable to get food down swelling in my face hands legs feet itchy skin palpation and that just a few. Called my Dr and she told me to stop the losartan and she said she would see me in 3-4 weeks. My question is should I be going to work or not since I still have shortness of breath a headache and flu like symptoms. And should I have been taken off of it so abruptly
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chest X-ray

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I can understand your concerns,

Please note that all the symptoms you have described are reported and common side effects of losartan.

However, it also commonly causes upper respiratory tract infection... So, before going back to work I would recommend that you get an X-ray chest to exclude possible infection or bronchitis.

There are no reported withdrawal symptoms and there should not be any expected symptoms related to stopping the medication abruptly.

However, you may need to refer to your doctor for a replacement medication for hypertension...

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee