Suggest treatment for bumps near the anus

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I wonder what are those little bumps appearing around my anus. Some looks like its forming a line or something. It itches. I had seen a dermatologist and she said that its not warts or HPV. So what is it?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further information is needed

Detailed Answer:

I was going through the photo you sent in and I admit that the quality of the picture was not good enough to let me see in details the bumps.

Can you please send another photo where I can see the bumps details from short distance (nearer)?

I need to also know :
- apart itching, is there any discharge coming out
- are the bumps the only to itch or there are other parts of your genitalia itching?
- since then did you notice the bumps?
- have you changed detergent or toilet soap recently?
- any history of intestinal parasites,

Looking forward to have the requested information in.
Dr.Albana

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 hours later
Hi there,
I'm afraid that the next image here is the best i can get.

To answer your questions:-
1. It's only itching, there's no discharge.
2. The entire anus area had been itching and the top of my intergluteal clef had been splitting a few times.
3. The anal pruitius happened since last XXXXXXX There was flaking and skin breakdown initially. Did a skin biopsy and the results reflected fungi hyphae. Was treated with fungal creams and medication. After the patch of flaking skin had been healed the bumps started to appear. About 2-3 months.
3. Nope, i haven't changed detergent nor toilet soap.
4. No history of intestinal parasites.

Still on fungal cream, lamisil, but of no use. It itches whenever it gets moist with sweat and during at night when its dry. I did use moisturizer and take anti-histamine but none works.

The bumps are also at the bottom of the scrotum area, inbetween the thighs, at the rop part of the anus.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bumps due to uncontrolled fungal infection....see the following...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing the requested photo and details.

From what you are describing, it seems that you are still having fungal problems. The bumps are due to fungal infection. You need to continue medications as fungal infection is difficult to treat.

Your lab reports describing fungal hyphae, that makes me think over dermatophytosis (a contagious fungal infection). They will take a couple of weeks to several months to get treated.

If Lamisil is not helping anymore, I advise to discuss with your doctor to:
- take skin scrapping and run culture and mycogram examination to determine the right antifungal medication to use. This examination will take a long time to get reports.
- if cannot do the 1st step, then, discuss with your doctor to change therapy: econazole or clotrimazole cream in combination with hydrocortisone can also help dominating the itching and fungal infection.

I usually advise my patients with the same fungal infection as you as following:
1. wash with warm water and soap
2. rinse well with warm water first, then, immediately with cold water
3. dry well the affected area
4. apply Gentian violet solution (can find over the counter); let it dry
5. then apply antifungal cream containing Lamisil (have great effect) or econazole in combination with hydrocortisone
6. I also advise to take oral-antifungal medications like prescription oral Lamisil (great effects in my patients).
7. avoid sharing your personal utensils with others; avoid sexual intercourse too. If you have only one partner, get her treated as well.

You can discuss this therapy with your doctor and see how it suits to you.

All the best!
Dr.Albana