Suggest treatment for bump with yellowish fluid on labia

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I had a pink, slightly raised, and what looked like clear or yellowish fluid inside located on the border between the inside and outside of my outer labia, where I've shaved. I went to get a bikini wax and could tell the waxer noticed it, and she changed the wax as soon as she finished the wax which scared me. I went to an urgent care doctor who looked at it and told me it looked cystic and absolutely not like herpes, and did not think it was necessary to test. I was still worried and on the fifth day of it being there with no change is size or pain or opening up, I went to my gyno who said it looked like folliculitis from heat and friction (I live in a humid environment) but did a swab test. She popped it in order to get fluid out of it and noted that it did look slightly vesicle-like and released a small amount of clear fluid and blood, but continued to state that she was not worried that it was herpes and if she was she would have called me in antivirals right then. I had no pain or tingling (until it was popped, after which it developed a tiny scab in the middle, which made it resemble an ingrown hair which made me feel slightly better, and then today i picked at it on accident while trying to get a look at it and now i feel like it looks like a teeny tiny (the size of the tip of a pencil) raw spot or like a pimple thats been popped. With two different doctors telling me they assumed it was not herpes, i feel like I should be less worried but something tells me this must be herpes. It was a tiny and painless bump at first and only after messing with it and popping it did it feel tender at all. I had no swollen lymph nodes, but I did have a sore throat, UTI symptoms (I've had reflux and an issue with recurrent UTI's so I know exactly what they feel like and this one felt no different). The sore throat has also been recurring throughout the year, and responds to allergy meds. Yet all of this points to Herpes. especially because I had unprotected sex approx. 2 weeks before. I'm trying to look for anything that would tell me this isnt herpes but it seems to be. Do you think it's possible that it is only a case of folliculitis? I had other areas that were obvious folliculitis (i have always had very sensitive skin) around where I shaved, but this specific spot looked different. I also want to clarify that the surrounding white looking bumps are simply hair follicles and appear raised because I am stretching and pushing the skin to get a really close look at the bump, and the picture that looks more yellow is what it looked like if I pressed the skin flat the day before I saw the doctor
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
doesn't looks like herpes

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to HealthcareMagic.

As per your history and the pictures I don't think its herpes.

I too agree with your gynacologist that it is folliculitis only due to friction and heat.

And as it has already healing after brusting it, and there is no sign of infection. So you need not worry about it. Nothing more needs to be done for it.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj