Suggest treatment for brown vaginal spotting and abdominal cramps

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi I had a 2 week late period that only lasted one day. it was bright red. then the next 3 days it was just brown spotting. cramps today. normal ??
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a cycle without ovulation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If you are sexually active, take a home pregnancy test. If you are pregnant, the test should be positive by now. But I don't think you are pregnant. I'm suggesting the test jus tot make sure.

It is not uncommon for women in their teens or early 20s to have an anovulatory cycle. Stress, weight changes, and other factors can cause failure to ovulate. When that happens, the hormones that keep things regular like clock work are off. So periods can come early, late, be heavy, light, bright red, or brown. They can last a shorter or longer period of time. In other words - the period is irregular.

Things should correct themselves. An anovulatory cycle here and there causes no harm - is just a bit frustrating.

There can be other causes of irregular bleeding, but if things return to normal next month, there is no need to follow up. However, if you continue to have the current symptoms on an ongoing basis, then go in to see your doctor. Also, if there is severe pain - this would be an indication that something else is going on and needs prompt medical attention.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
My period the month before was light pink and watery. but before that, my periods were regular ,bright or dark red and bit heavy. I've also developed a uti this month. I'm dizzy a lot and have frequent urination, sometimes incontinence.'ve been sexually active past 3 months right around the time of this anovuluation. 2 weeks ago urine prego test was negative. should I see doctor if next month this strange period comes back? or doesn't come at all?? I only had my (late) period this month because I was having a panic attack n started bleeding heavy then it stopped few hours later when I calmed down.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
about UTIs

Detailed Answer:
Yes, stress can definitely cause dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

I'm concerned about the dizziness you are having with UTI symptoms. You can treat mild UTIs with increased water and cranberry juice or powder, but if you start to have other symptoms such as nausea, fever, or flank pain (pain in the area by your kidneys), then it is time to go in for antibiotic because these symptoms can mean that the UTI has gone up into your kidneys.

Dizziness can be from anxiety, but it can also be from infection, so if you are also feeling ill as I described above, then do go in for treatment now.

If its been a week since the date you expected your period and the home preg test is negative, then it is safe to say you are not pregnant.

If you are still having erratic cycles after next month, then yes, go in to see your doctor.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
can I still have anovulation cycles if my bbt is 100 degrees ferenheit ?? I just checked it
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
If you have a low grade fever and UTI symptoms, you should please go in to give a urine specimen.

I can't say whether you will ovulate or not, based on your low grade fever.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 hours later
I got done with my treatment for my uti , hasn't bothered me today which is good, but I am also bloated, nauseated, extremely fatigued, also when I put my hand on my stomach I feel something moving below my belly button. what could this be? I have a used pregnancy test that was negative, reused it today and it turned to faint positive but idk if it's accurate because I reused it. what do you think is going on?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Too early to feel a baby move if you are pregnant.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it isn't accurate if you reuse a pregnancy tester.

It would be too early if you were pregnant, to feel a baby moving in your abdomen.

You can retake the test using a new home pregnancy test.

When were you treated for the UTI?
For how many days?
And with what medicine?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
cephalexin is the name of antibiotic I took for my uti. I was treated for the uti about 2 weeks ago. for one week I had to be on antibiotics. I'm past that it's been a few days since I took that medicine. I will take a new hpt in 2 days or maybe tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, take another hpt.

Detailed Answer:
So you were treated with cephalexin but you are still having urinary symptoms? Or are you over these now?

Yes, take another hpt.
yes I had a burning sensation when I peed this morning. went away after 30 mins or so. and my temperature today is 99 or 100 degrees F, same as yesterday. still confused about this slow moving object floating around below my bellybutton. it rotates to my right. I'm not constipated I don't have gas or diarreah. and I got white-ish lines from my belly button to top of vagina area. and bloated.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The movement you are feeling in the belly.

Detailed Answer:
The movement of the bowels can cause some of these sensations.

The earliest pregnant women feel their baby move is around 12 - 13 weeks from the 1st day of their last period. Sometimes very thin women can feel the baby a little earlier than that.

The first sensations of movement are usually felt in the pelvis as the uterus is still small and not significantly into the abdomen.

I am still concerned about the UTI because:
1. Cephalexin is not a typical antibiotic use for UTIs. Not all UTI causing bacteria are sensitive to it.
2. You are still having UTI type symptoms.

Usually TMP-SMX, or Cipro or Macrodantin/Macrobid are used for UTIs. But the urine should be sent for culture and an antibiotic sensitivity test to determine the most effective antibiotic for the particular bacterial infection. Do you know if that was done?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
I know they took a UA. This was at a hospital near my house. they rush everything I'm not sure what they did with UA. they also told me I'm not prego. I need a blood prego test done to be sure I think. alottt of strange things happening to my body past 3 months. I need to go see a local doctor yes and I'm working on it.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good plan.

Detailed Answer:
A blood pregnancy test is more accurate and will show pregnancy at an earlier date.

When you see the local doctor, ask for a repeat urinalysis and culture.

You may be able to get information from the hospital if you call and ask for the results of the "culture and sensitivity" test.

In the meantime, drink cranberry juice or take cranberry powder. You can get a cranberry juice concentrate and reconstitute it with water and apple juice to avoid the big load of sugar from a ready made product like Ocean Spray, if you want.