Suggest treatment for breakthrough bleeding after taking Qlaira

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, I have been on qlaira Combination pill for the past 25 days and I have been experiencing breakthrough bleeding (moderate to heavy) for the past 20 days. I want to switch to micronor which I was taking before switching to Qlaira without any side effects. When can I switch?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can shift instantly

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your anxiety related to the issue.
Yes you can leave qlaira right now itself and shift to micronor instantly without any problem and will be very beneficial in relief from this bleeding as higher estrogen content of micronor will stop the bleed in a couple of days.
All the best
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 13 minutes later

Thank you for your speedy response.

Micronor doesn't have any estrogen as it is the XXXXXXX pill, progesterone only. I know that I can't switch at any time as it would have been the case if i was switching from XXXXXXX pill to combination, now i want to switch from combination (qlaira) to micronor (mini pill). When is the ideal time to switch? after i take all active pills? after i take all active and inactive? is the bleeding likely to continue even after i switch to XXXXXXX pill?

I ve been on the XXXXXXX pill for 3 months before switching to qlaira this month and i didn't have any problems.

please can you review my question again?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Switch instantly while on active pills

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear Im sorry as I wrote estrogen instead of progesterone in a hurried response.
You can switch to micronor instantly now itself while on active pills of qlaira.
It won't be much helpful in case you start inactive pills as that way you will be subjected to withdrawal bleeding and thus increased bleeding can occur instead.
Start polynor and stop qlaira now itself you will get instant relief of bleeding due to higher progesterone content of polynor.

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 22 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr.,

This is such a great relief!!!

Tomorrow I am getting the prescription for micronor and tomorrow is the last day of the active pills so I will skip tomorrow's active pill and take micronor instead correct? Sorry for asking so many questions, I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!!
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes shift to micronor tomorrow itself

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome dear.
Yes you are absolutely right, you can skip the last active pill and shift to micronor tomorrow itself.