Does dark brown discharge indicate pregnancy post unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I recently had unprotected sex and he came inside me last Tuesday. I’m on birth control and have been now for sometime. It’s a high dose of progesterone and estrogen. I woke up this morning to find some dark brown blood. Should i be worried? I’m concerned I’m pregnant. And I’m 2 weeks away from my period.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy unlikely.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

As you are regular with your hormone contraception, you are well protected. Pregnancy, therefore, is a remote possibility.

The more likely cause of this discharge is some breakthrough bleeding due to transient hormone disturbance mostly due to the stress you are facing for fear of failure.

However, I would ask you to report to your health care provider to check for any other cause through a clinical exam. Infections of the cervix and vagina, erosion of the cervix and polyps of the cervix and endometrium also can lead to similar presentation. Lower urinary tract infections are another possible cause.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng