Suggest treatment for blocked ear

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For about 3-4 weeks, I have had a little bit of blocked/muffled sound in my right ear. I went to my doctor, and they removes some wax up against my ear drum. The problem got better. It returned about a week later, and now I have the same feeling in both ears. I went to my ENT, who did a "thorough" exam on my ears, including a hearing test . She found nothing wrong, and the hearing test was normal. Since that visit, my ears have gotten worse, as far as feeling plugged and especially muffled. I now get slight high-pitched whining in both ears of varying degrees. Occasionally when I swallow, it feels like my left ear may pop open somewhat, but she tells me my eustachian tubes are clear. She has no answer as to what the problem may be, and told me to come back in 3 months for a follow up. I am a 60 year old male in othewise good health. Im getting more than a little concerned. Can you shed any light at all on the possible problem ?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are having eustachian tubes blockage.

Detailed Answer:
As per your clinical history it appears that you are having eustachian tubes blockage which common after cold & in allergy.
Slight high-pitched whining in both ears is because of eustachian tubes blockage.
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you steam inhalation by vaporizer thrice daily & Antihistaminic levocetirizine + Montelukast combination .
You can use locally acting Decongestant nasal drops in place of psudafed .
Discuss this with your treating doctor .
Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
She also mentioned possibly getting an MRI to check for a brain tumor...which is the crux of my worry. She also said my eustachian tubes are not blocked after testing....could she be wrong ?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you don't get relief then do other tests.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
I would like to know which hearing test your doctor done .
I would advice you follow above mention treatment plan if you don't get relief do other Hearing tests like impedance audiometry to know pressure in middle ear & TEOAE to know nerve functioning before going for MRI.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.