Suggest treatment for bleeding ulcers and back pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 64. For the last 3 years I have had very low iron levels and hemoglobin and have had to have iron and blood transfusions. I have peptic ulcers, but on exam have never bleeding, they such suspect that is problem. I was told know I have a Adnexal mass surround on both sides with cyst I have right back pain and have a pain in right side where mass is said to be. Everytime I have been examined I have been asked is it pain for me to push here and I say no but it sure hurts in my back. Anyway, could this be the cause of my anemia
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,its possible

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms,it does seem that the adnexal mass may be the cause for pain and anemia.

The adnexal region and the back region have a common nerve pathway and both are connected. So surely,this mass can be a cause for referred pain to the back.

Depending upon the type and characteristic of the mass,anemia is also likely to be caused due to the mass and i would advice you to get a detailed futher investigation of the adnexal mass (CT abdomen with contrast / transvaginal high resolution ultrasound).

Other causes of anemia can be ruled out by a bone marrow examination.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy