Suggest treatment for bleeding ulcer caused by prolonged use of NDAID's

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in General Health
Question: i had a bleeding ulcer caused by years of over use of nsaids. cant take any anti inflammatories anymore and am using arenica, which i love, but after a 12 hr work day on my feet i need something more. i tried tramadol and it had no effect on me at all, no side effects, no pain relief. what can i try next for when i get home at night? i would not be using this at work, only at night.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vicodin.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

NSAIDs should not be used at your case as long as the ulcer wont be healed. If you will get it healed, you can use some NSAIDs but only with PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) like Omeprasole.
As Tramadol seems to weak for you, next step in pain management seems to be Vicodin (hydrocodone with acetaminophen). This medicine is stronger than Tramadol, does not affect stomach and causes less side effects than Morphine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
unfortunately I seem to be allergic to vicodin. I get VERY itchy and it has never helped me with pain at all in the past. what about percocet? how does that compare to vicodin and tramadol?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Perocet is exactly the same as Vicodin. Just different brand name. So there is not much left for the pain menagement at your case. You may try Metamizole. It belongs to NSAID group however is much safer in case of an ulcer.