Suggest treatment for bipolar disorder
I am currently in the normal state (no depression or mania maybe hypo-mania) but I know I am feeling better and want to stay like this. My question is, what should I do to avoid the next phase of depression (the last one happened nov 13 - dec 13 and was severe).
The cycling of moods affect my overall performance at work and also my relationships plus I feel empty and have suicidal thoughts during depression.
Is it necessary to take medication to avoid cycling of moods or is there any precaution or alternative way?
Cognitive Behavior Therapy is your cure.
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns
I went through your details. I suggest you not to worry much. I hope you do know the peculiar symptoms of bi-polar disorder. I m heartened to know that your bi-polar disorder is just a mild one and you are managing without medicines for the time being. You are really brave. Once you are able to manage without medicines for more than months, the relapse of the symptoms may not be that severe.
As you know the bi-polar disorder is a disorder and not a disease. Disorder is a state of mind which it practiced / habituated over a period of time. The electricl impulses, the brain generates, changed due to the habitual state of mind. We need to change that signals into normal. Cognitive Behavior Therapy is the best available method to overcome mild to moderate bi-polar disorder. You have to do these even when you are on medicines. The following are the first steps of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
1. Total awareness about the bi-polar disorder and its complications. You should read every available scholarly mateial (don't rely on unsolicited articles or articles wrote by inexperienced people available on internet). Such articles can cause more mental confusion thn respite.
2. You should learn to cultivate a habit of positive self talk. When ever possible, talk positive things to self. Say I AM PERFECT, i DID MANAGE MY PROBLEMS AND I SHALL MANAGE MUCH BETTER ETc.
3. Always try to pose a smile on your face. Smile releases so many positive hormones into your blood stream to keep you refreshed. Also hug your wife / father / mother / sister / brother / child / friends etc whenever you can. Such a positive hug also releases positive hormones.
4. Need to do deep breathing without straining yourself. Whevever you get time, sit relaxed, close your eyes and start deep breathing. Try to concentrate on your breath, body movements or listen to songs. Even if your mind drifts, no problem, slowly bring it back to the breathing. Please complete 10 rounds of breathing cycles.
5. Whenever possible / tired, close your eyes and breath. Bring those past vivid enjoyable happenings into your mind and wander in them. You shall learn to enjoy.
6. Believe in god. He has the capaity to bring you back to normal.
7. Exercise is a must for releiving stress / anxiety. Sweat for 30 minutes atleast. Better option is engaging yourself in games.
8. Include cashew nuts, tomato, banana, XXXXXXX garlic, onion and ginger in your meals.
Follow the above said steps strictly for a week or so. Then come back to me so that I shall provide you more CBT Exercises.
Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck. God bless you.
Dr. K V Anand PhD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Rapid cycling bipolar disorder treatment
- Is calan used in the treatment of bipolar disorder?
- Treatment and cure for Bipolar disorder
- Suggest treatment for bipolar disorder type2
- Diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia taking treatment suggestions
- Bipolar disorder symptoms treatment
- Medical treatment for bipolar disorder
- Residential treatment for bipolar disorder
- Homeopathic treatment for bipolar disorder
- Suggest treatment for bipolar disorder