Suggest treatment for back pain

Excellent

Question
In the San XXXXXXX area, I see constant full-page ads from doctors promising relief from all kinds of back pain with their new methods involving some kind of laser machine, none of which I really understand. And most of them don't take insurance (one told me he accepted insurance only when he used "manipulation."

My question is: What is the opinion of the orthopedic community of these "New Age-y" kinds of miraculous backpain cures? What IS the best cure for back pain other than surgery?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Too good to be true

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
You know what they say about ads. Never 5 rust them most of them are cheap publicity stunts unless they have board licensed practitioners who stay in limits of FDA and use approved measures to cure.
There is no magic cure.its just etiology based cure.
Depends on the cause.simple musculoskeletal pains are best treated with pharmacotherapy and posture modifications with lying flat of surface hard enough is mandatory. If need be physiotherapy is needed.
If uti or gynecological issues treatment of underlying cause is must.
Physiotherapy exercises and relaxation therapies and massage therapies also help.
If some compressive neuropathy like vertebral disc prolapse etc then that needs physiotherapy and pharmacotherapy and if need be epidural steroid injections and last option as surgical decompressive procedures.
Nut shell don't trust any one blindly. If some thing tempts yoh just remember one thing and repeat in your head.
Too Good To Be True.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX