• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety disorder

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I am in the early diagnosis of als and I am only 33 years old, now I am not depressed but every time I go for an appointment anxiety starts to sit in and I need something to calm me down for this reason and it will help me not want to get out of there so quickly and I might be able to ask the questions or symptom's that I have made a memo out of.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take benzodiazepine on sos basis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

I think, you may have anxiety disorder in form of while coat syndrome. In that case, you can either take benzodiazepine like clonazepam on sos basis or relaxation exercise like JPMR or deep breathing exercise. If you do not want to take any antidepressant, then these method would help to keep your anxiety in control during performance time. Initially you can take benzodiazepine on sos basis and side by side start with relaxation exercise. Gradually with relaxation technique, you would able to control your symptoms.

In case, you have more query, you can ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 8 minutes later
I exercise almost daily which does help and I drink lavender based tea to calm me down but with the emg's showing upper and lower damages to the neurons I have really bad anxiety/nervousness during my down periods like now when I am not at work and would like something quick to calm me down so I can function in real life i.e.. go out in public and be sociable.e
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can try JPMR

Detailed Answer:
HI

These exercises are different from routine exercise. In relaxation exercise like Jacobson's Progressive Muscle Relaxation (JPMR) and deep breathing exercise, a psychologist would teach you how to control underline anxiety in tense situations. These exercise would work in natural way and keep you relax. In between, you can take benzodiazepine on sos basis, but these exercises usually take time to show response. In that case, you have to be patient. Better to consult a psychologist for these technique.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 10 minutes later
I work from anywhere from sixty to eighty hours a week and some how find the time to spend with family, friends, enjoy life, and work out. How could I get a script of Xanax so that I can take it as needed to enjoy the rest of my life normally.or will I have to do something else. When you get anxiety so bad that you feel like your mind is outside and looking at you is not very fun at all.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try to get written prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I think, your work load could be one of the reason behind anxiety. You need wriiten prescription for benzodiazepine like xanax or klonopin. You can consult a psychiatrist or physician for that. These drugs and relaxation techniques would help you to control anxiety. First try to follow them. You would get result. Everything need time, so with treatment. Be patient.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist