• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression along with weight gain

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I've trialed so many medications, anti-depressant and anti-psychotics, for depression and irritability. I have anxiety all day, too, it seems. Racing heart and edgey for most of the day, peaking mid-day and lasting til the evening. I take lorazepam 1-2 times a week for this but don't want to get too used to it. had to stop Abilify and Seroquel due to weight gain and Zoloft helped, but then stopped working. I tried Lamictal added to Zoloft as well, but this did nothing. I feel tearful, irritable, and agitated every single day. I'm not sure what else to try because this is misery and I don't want to gain weight. I don't sleep well at all - insomnia and restlessness and I wake up feeling exhausted. I've had all normal labs within the past 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pristiq is another option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand that despite the use of multiple antidepressants and antipsychotics there is little help offered till date.

Considering the weight gain issues and presence of anxiety and depression I feel pristiq can be used. The pristiq is an antidepressant and indicated for anxiety as well as depression. In similar cases I start with 50 mg a day and increase to 100 mg per days after five days of use.

Since there is irritability and agitation I feel low dose of lithium should be combined with pristiq. I understand that it causes some slowing but the chances of weight gain are minimal with lithium and it offers excellent profile in the treatment of agitation and irritability. In addition to this lithium acts as an augmentation to the antidepressant effect of pristiq which will help you in anxiety and depression.

My above recommendation are based on the fact that there is resistant anxiety and depression and you have a need for weight neutral medications.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 29 minutes later
Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

Do you have any experience with Latuda as an option instead of two medications? I would prefer to not have to deal with blood draws for monitoring a lithium level. I see conflicting things about weight gain with Latuda - some weight neutral, others that it is a weight gainer.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Practically speaking I would say that Latuda is more a weight neutral than weight gainer. I have used it in around 15 to 20 patients till date and have only one patient who reported significant weight gain.

Regarding usefulness of latuda I keep my opinion reserved as I have never tried Latuda to deal with irritability and agitation. Having said this I must admit that it is excellent option for depression and anxiety.

Finally Latuda can be the second option but can not be preferred over the suggested combination in your case.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist