Suggest treatment for an enlarged and swollen taste bud

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 17 year old son has a small swollen taste bud on the top of his tongue, he's had it for about a month, and it's not painful to eat or chew, but he's been pulling at it to try and get it off his tongue, and it's a little painful to move around with his finger. Should I see a doctor/dentist about this? Will it go away? He's healthy in every other way, no other symptoms at all.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on the image you uploaded, it appears to be a cyst. Fibromas or polyp are also possible. However , histopathology done via taking an excisional biopsy would determine the true nature of the swelling. If there is an increases in size, causing pain or difficulty in swallowing or increased discomfort then you should get your son to see a dentist or oral physician for further assessment. Even without these symptoms, the swelling is not normal and should ideally be directly examined.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil