Suggest treatment for alcoholic hepatitis
Just got blood tests back. All OK, except bilirubin:
- total = 2.6 mg dL
- direct = 0.7
- indirect = 1.9
GOT (AST), GPT (ALT) normal.
And yes, I drink a lot. And yes, I will stop.
Of course, will go back to my doctor, but she is away.
But I'm just wondering whether this is like a reaction to heavy drinking in the past weeks, and will subside (although I guess I would need to assess the state of my liver), or if this is more directly life-threatening (like acute cirrhosis).
I am 46 and binge drink once or twice a week. In recent weeks it has been more.
Thanks for writing in
It seems you have developed alcoholic hepatitis
It is better you avoid alcohol, take fat free diet, rest for a minimum of two weeks and take some hepatoprotective medicines available in your town
In the mean time get a complete liver panel and an ultrasound of abdomen done
It is reversible depending on the damage done which can be ascertained by an ultrasound
Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Acute alcoholic hepatitis
- Treatment and cure for acute alcoholic hepatitis
- Alcoholic hepatitis symptoms and treatment
- Management alcoholic hepatitis
- Treatment for alcoholic hepatitis
- Alcoholic hepatitis recovery
- Alcoholic hepatitis medscape
- Alcoholic hepatitis emedicine
- Treatment and cure for Alcohol hepatitis
- Treatment and cure for fatal alcoholic hepatitis
- Bruised temple, has caused numbness in that area. Serious?
- Experiencing testicular pain, no lumps, fluctuating, discomfort when...
- Is abdominal cramps a symptom of diarrhea?
- Blood on stool, back pain, testicular pain, lump on anus, abdominal...
- Weight loss, constipation with dark stools. Bad eating habits. Symptoms...
- Chills and fever, swelling on lymph nodes. Liver and spleen mildly...
- Pain in legs, collar bones, irregular bowel movement and unsatisfied...
- Child having fever and back pain after falling from bed, swollen spot on...
- Dealing with domestic violence, appendix erupted. Is it due to violence?
- Itchy anus, no pain. Neither zinc cream nor hemorrhoid cream worked. Any...