• question-icon

Suggest treatment for acid reflux

Posted on Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have acid refluxs bad;I get heart burn with just water,my insurance droped prlosec dont work only the purple pill nexium but could not afford it or to see a doctor, so I use 1tsp baking soda mix it with 4oz of water & it kills the heart burn fast it makes me burp but clear no after taste & no acid comes up which is great XXXXXXX doing that for over 9yrs,then it would hurt to swallow even tiny bites of food especialy when it is going past my heart & I have to have some liQuid to wash it down that stops the hurtful rubing feeling. Im in pian. cant eat and dont have a taste for food. XXXXXXX drinking water and a little bit of milk.age 49, 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Irish blood line, 51' 139lbs .I get really hot on my back and my whole stomache then my mouth waters and I know im going to throw up (water,what ever i had to drink or 1 tspoon of food 7hrs before )my stomache blows up like im pregnant even with no food just water in my stomache. can you please help me to stop this pain I cant take it I cry cause its tourchure and Im useless taking care of my kids,I f my husband did not die I could afford to go to the doctor(and I work for good will, Im not lazy it hurts at work but if I miss any more days I'll get fired so I have to suffer and suck it up,Im not a quiter but I feel like Im going to give up and I cant do that I have my family responsibilities I love my kids,Im not being the mom I was and that hurts me morethan anything else. I know its a lot to read but me and my family are worth it. Thank you,XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It is really hard to give exact answer and lead you to straight solution. Its because your symptom can be caused by few issues from peptic ulcer or gallstones to even esophageal cancer. Unfortunately gastroscopy is extremely necessary at your case. The pain you have clearly indicates that there is some narrowing in the esophagus. This can be inflammation due to chronic acid reflux or cancer. Cancer is more possible if you have lost some weight before, have night sweats, weakness, your skin is pale. So first thing you should have is gastroscopy. If you can not have it, best you can do is to avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee (very important), chocolate, fruit juices, alcohol. Do not eat before sleeping (last meal should be 2 hours before sleeping), put your head a little bit higher when lying down. To ease the pain hot bath can be helpful. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon