Suggest treatment for abscess in the liver

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello doctor

My farther is diagonised with liver absis of 9.5 by 9.5 cm because of which there is water in the lungs as well. He is in hospital since 8 days and the treatment of drainage is taking days and infection goes up and down also fever. The size if absis reduces very very gradually. Tube drainage has no risk to liver or other parts. How do we know the causes of this
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bacterial or parasitic liver abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I can understand your concern for your father's health.
1) Liver abscess may be either due to bacteria infection or parasite infection to liver.
2) The cause for development of such abscess can be find by sending sample of aspirate which is coming through tube for analysis. It is recommended to send such sample on very first day when tube was introduced.
3) However, it is important to check size of abscess and liver function periodically.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 28 minutes later
Does it take very long to drain the absis? Does it have XXXXXXX risks associated?
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
long time to drain completely

Detailed Answer:
1) Size of 9.5cm is quite big size and it require long time to collapse completely.
2) Here I like to mention that if size of abscess regress slowly or remain same, general condition of patient deteriorate then surgery will be required.
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 15 minutes later
Thank you. In last 3 days of drainage tube procedure the absis today has become 7 cm wich has reduced but is very slow. Is the surgey safe? Any risk involved? Why is the lungs also having water. Is this disease life threatning or health risks involved? What do we tc while taking the decision to go with surgery?
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it will take longer time

Detailed Answer:
3 days is short time for such large sized abscess. It might require 7-10 days.
Yes, surgery is safe but decision must be made by judging patient's overall condition.
Lung has water because of inflammatory reaction in that region plus, body has less protein due to less production of protein in liver.
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 30 minutes later
The doctors did some ADA Test plueral fluid for ada. And the results show 41 which comes in the positive range. Does it mean tb or its due to again absis?
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
positive for TB

Detailed Answer:
I apologize for late reply.
ADA positive is confirmatory test for TB.
What wat culture and microscopy report of pus/fluid drained from liver abscess.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana