• question-icon

    What causes right sided abdominal pain?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi I noticed that I had some pain on the right side of my abdomen when moving around. It started approx. 2 days ago. It is more upper right. If I press on the area, I feel like a knot there and it hurts when I press it. However, when I lay flat, I don't feel anything. It almost feels like a pulled muscle but I don't recall doing anything that would cause this. I also noticed that I seem to have many of these knots all over abdomen so I'm not sure if this is just part of anatomy?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a pulled muscle.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate yopur concerns.
As per your query answer is-
See as the lump is on right upper side of abdomen there could be a possible involvement of Liver or Gallbladder.
Both liver and gallbladder are found in that area and a pathology related to them can cause pain.

It can be a Liver abscess,Hepatoma,Hepatic cyst(if liver is involved) or Cholecystitis, Hydrops of gallbladder or Choledochal cyst if there is a gallbladder involvement.

Initially an ultra sonogramm of abdomen should be done to rule out the above mentioned possibilities.However a MRI Scan is going to give us a much better picture.

You have written that-
I also noticed that I seem to have many of these knots all over abdomen so I'm not sure if this is just part of anatomy-So a MRI was not adviced to you? It can be malignancy also Was anything done to rule out a possible malignancy?

A PET scan or MRI had been ever done or suggested?
Are you under any sort of medications?
Please specify the tests already done by you dear for a better advice.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 40 minutes later
I had a endoscopy October 2016 and CT of lungs in 2017. I have gerd. Also I take Lexapro and had stopped taking it for about 5 days.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for USG abdomen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
I don't think its due to GERD.
At least an ultrasound should be done to rule out th exact site and size of lump.
Depending on its report a MRI scan would be done.
I don't feel you should take it lightly and ultrasound should be done asap.

Follow up with reports of ultrasound.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2445 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hepatoma

doctor1 MD

Had a "fall" last week that seems to have caused a Hepatoma on the lower right side of my lower back, just above my butt. While the bruising is...

doctor1 MD

Does anyone know about immunotherapy for liver cancer? What options should we be looking for? My father-in-law has stage 3 hepatoma with a 6.8...

doctor1 MD

Hello...I have been undergoing tests for a quite a long time and I am a Hepatitis C Patient. My AFP level previously was 499 after which a TACE...

doctor1 MD

This is to get information for my relative;s condition. he is a diabetic , hypertensive and is on treatment. 2 weeks back he developed acute...

doctor1 MD

I have been experiencing extremely low blood sugar drops, heart beating fast, sweating profusely with cold clammy sweat, feeling very weak and the...

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 34y/o M. I am VERY healthy and athletic. I take care of my health specifically. I have had Hepatitis C since childhood. I almost...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

193 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ramesh Kumar
  • Q - Suggest dosage for Morphine while suffering from liver cirrhosis

  • Q - Suggest treatment for vomiting and diarrhea

  • Q - What causes fluttering sensation in the abdomen?

  • Q - How can severe constipation with nausea, bloating and gas be treated?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and weight gain

  • Q - What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for hemorrhoids

  • Q - Suggest treatment for an anal fistula

  • Q - What causes abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constipation and pain in the anal area