• question-icon

Suggest treatment for liver cysts

Posted on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Dear sir
I have been diagnosed with a liver cyst of 3.6 cm in a CT .It has grow in a year from 2.8. I would like to make preventive measures and would like to know , what could have caused this growth, and what action I can take to prevent future growth. I prefer the natural options.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to upload the reports (previous and present). Based on them I would be able to guide you further. Cancerous growth has to be ruled out. The increase in size is a cause of concern.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 23 hours later
Dear Sir,

Attach is the latest CT and the 2016 t compare. Also resent Lab reports.

Thks
XXXXXXX

Please confirm if lab and CT results were received,thanks
Brief Answer:
Does not seem concerning

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached reports, both old and new. The liver cyst does not seem to have a tumorous growth associated and so does not seem metastatic although it has increased in size.

There are a number of possibilities although I doubt if you need to go into the technicalities. However, if you want, going through the following article would give you an idea:
http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiographics.21.4.g01jl16895

The lab reports seem fine and the variations are within the normal range.

I would insist you to get the report reviewed by your treating physician even though I do not see a cause for concern.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 hours later
Dear Sir, Thanks for your answer. Is more or less what I had been informed by my oncologist but what I am looking for is more detail of the cause and prevention.
The main reason of my inquiry is if is possible to get information of the following concerns I have:
1. what could cause the growth in a year time, I have been told , it could be a side effect of the quimiotherapy and radiation I had been thru , is this would be a cause , or any other by your experience
2.by your experience , what I could do to prevent future growth , and maybe if it can be reduce slowly
3. for your information I follow mainly a vegetarian diate ,aside of this only fish and salmon , and a daily egg and do a lot of exercise aerobic and anarobic.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Explanation provided

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have gone through all the parts of your query but let me take a different approach. Let me tell you that you need not bother about what caused the growth and how to prevent further growth. The primary concern is whether it is neoplastic (i.e. associated with benign or cancerous growth), specifically whether it is or metastatic or cancerous origin and if proliferation of cancerous cells are the cause of the enlargement of the cyst. But the logic going against is that there does not seem to be any extra tumorous growth associated with the cyst. In such a case it is reasonable to assume the cyst not to be of cancerous origin. But if you are to become confirm, you would have to go for biopsy. In such a case, the cyst would no longer remain and the question of growing further does not matter (as it has already been removed by then). If it is eventually found not to be cancerous, the next question that would automatically get answered in the process is whether it was a liver abscess (post biopsy). Unless it is due to abscess, the other benign causes are to be left alone and there is no specific thing that you would need to do or could do to reduce or alter further progression.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha