• question-icon

Suggest treatment for Blastocystis hominis infection

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, I was just diagnosed with blastocystis hominis, though I believe I have either blood flukes or tapeworms either in addition to or instead of. The thing is I have been dealing with this for quite some time and have been told for years by my doctor that it's all psychological. Now I am in excruciating pain, my head between my scalp and scull is hollowed out with tunnels, I'm bleeding from just about every hole in my body, and I'm pulling worms out left and right espically from my stool. I have left my doctor and have started up with a new one but naturally it takes time to transfer my medical records. From what I can read about blastocystis hominis it sounds like it's an intestinal dwelling parasite. So all of my other affected areas would not be caused by this parasite, would that be correct? Or would the blastocystis hominis travel and destroy the entire internal body? Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No most likely it remain confined to particular areas.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Blastocystis hominis is a microscopic organism that may be found in the stools.Whether blastocystis is the type of protozoa that causes disease is controversial. In most of the cases it is self limiting and resolve on its own.There is no proven cure for this problem infact whether it causes any problem or not is still a topic of research.
However as per standard text it remains confined to gastro intestinal tract hence travelling and destroying other organs is not usually seen.
For pinworm tape worm etc have stool test been ever done?
Please attach reports of your stool test and treatment followed till date for further opinion.

Waiting.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist