Suggest remedy for stomach discomfort and altered taste in mouth post endoscopy

Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have done an endoscopy which is clear and also a CT scan which is clear. I still have this continuous
feeling of the stomach pressing into the rib cage and pain in my solar plexus. This condition, once thought to be due to hiaitus hernia, which was not found in this endoscopy, has been persisting for 4 years now. Should I take Pantocid D? What course of action will relieve me of this constant pressure on my rib cage. The CT showed an enlarged and fatty liver. Also, after a meal, I feel heavy and bloated in the stomach
The front of my mouth, upto the end of my lips continuously burn. Can't say I have felt any heartburn in the gullet or throat. Also, a sour taste in the mouth persists.
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD: A complete guide to symptom resolution.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

I'm Dr. Neel Kudchadkar and I will help you now.
I have gone through your query carefully and being your personal doctor, I will provide you with all the medical assistance you require.

I have carefully examined your query and will professionally advise you on these matters.

You mention that:
1. You have GERD.
2. You suspected a Hiatal Hernia.
3. You have undergone endoscopic exams and these have not revealed any such issues.
4. You have constant discomfort at the region of the "stomach" and solar plexus, on the ribs, in particular.
5. You have enquired whether PantoCid-D would help you.
6. You mention a persistent burning sensation in the oral mucosa.
7. You wish to get rid of a sour taste that you subjectively experience.

Since, you have given a fair trial to medications, I suggest diet and nutritional changes along with attempts at lifestyle alterations be given a fair attempt too, because they will help you. This is a medical fact.

1. Avoid foods with high fat and protein content.
2. Do not smoke, or drink alcohol, if you do, even occassionally because they trigger GERD.
3. You must avoid caffeine as in coffee, and carbonated drinks.
4. Citrus fruits like oranges and lemons contain ascorbic acid in high amounts and worsen GERD.
5. I suggest a Vegan diet that is free from chillies, sauces and spices.

While eating,

1. Eat small frequent meals to reduce pressure on the cardiac sphincter of the stomach.
2. Avoid the feeling of fullness and satiety while eating. Pause, then eat.
3. You must avoid heavy meals.

While sleeping,

1. Elevate the feet of your bed by 6 inches. This has been proven effective.
2. If you can do so, try sleeping on an easy chair.
3. Avoid sleeping 2 to 3 hours after a meal.

As for PantoCid-D:

1. You can take this medication. It contains Pantoprazole and Domperidone.
2. Make sure that you take this medication an hour before a meal. This is important.

Drug therapy must come under review, so you might wish to visit a doctor for a re-evaluation of medication.

As for your burning sensations in the mouth region.

1. This is not because of GERD, and is most probably due to a Vitamin deficiency.
2. I suggest applying a 1% lignocaine gel on the affected region. Instant relief.
3. I strongly advice Ubiquinone gel as it has proven highly effective in what you are describing.
4. You might want to take a B complex regimen for a month to suffice the deficiency.

As for the "sour taste in the mouth",

1. I suggest that you gargle with plain betadine mouth wash after meals.
2. Avoid the other mouth washes as they are specifically designed for persons with gum and dental problems.
3. betadine mouth wash is easily available over the counter

If you follow these suggestions, I am confident that your symptoms will palliate faster than you think.

If you have any questions, please write to me.

Thanks,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak