question-icon

Suggest remedy for sore oozing pus inside nostril

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: I have a sore that emit pus in the top inside of a nostril - probably from something stupid like plucking a long nose hair. Am on a business trip now, out of access to my doctor, and need to just get by till Wednesday. Not sure how to treat other than warm water with qtip. Can I put Neosporin just in side my nose at the top of nostril? Or do nothing and wait hoping the pus will dry? Feels like I should do something to not look gross if pus drips. Help!
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Apply neosporin ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcare magic

According to your complaints it seems you have developed folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicle.

In such cases I recommend my patients to take oral as well as topical antibiotics.

Since you don't have access to your doctor I would recommend you to apply neosporin ointment on the affected areas twice daily for 6-7 days till it heals.

If the lesion doesn't show much improvement in 2-3 days consult a doctor and consider going for oral antibiotics as well.

I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.

Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist