Suggest remedy for recurrent sore throat

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Infections
Question: I frequently get a sort throat which robs me of a lot of energy and lingers for anything from 2 - 8 weeks. This normally happens after being exposed to cold weather, especially if I go out soon after washing my hair.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent throat infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

If the sore throat is associated with washing of hair then it is most likely because of chronic sinusitis, it is worthwhile to get a x ray waters view to looks for signs of it. You can approach an ENT surgeon and undergo FESS operation once its proven.

The othe important things to follow to prevent throat infections are

1. Frequent washing of hands, especially before eating. Keep a hand sanitizer with you at all times
2. Make sure to brush your teeth twice daily and floss once a week
3. Visit your dentist to rule out chronic gingivitis leading onto throat infection
4. Make sure your tonsils are not the culprit by visiting an ENT surgeon

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply to my question re recurrent sore throat. Just another couple of queries:

I've rarely been diagnosed with an actual infection, i.e. I've hardly ever been prescribed antibiotics for it, although an E.N.T. surgeon suggested I have my tonsils removed. I, unfortunately, followed his advice (not all my medical advisors agreed with it) and it has made NO DIFFERENCE. The only effect it has had is to prolong the periods of illness. I might add I had not been ill for two years, following a 3-week stay in a warm climate which is a rather expensive way of staying well! I am now going into my third week of illness.

Is it possible to have sinusitis without much head pain? What is FESS?

I visit my dentist regularly.

Looking forward to hearing from you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

It is not impossible to have sinusitis without headaches but it is true that the most common symptom is headache.
I am happy that you are being managed without antibiotics and it is not essential to get a tonsillectomy done if you have had less than 3-5 infections in a year however tonsilitis could be the reason behind the recurrent throat infections. Just follow the precautionary measures I had jotted down earlier

FESS- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery is a method to flush out the sinuses, this too has had mixed response and is not a definitive treatment

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 hours later
Very many thanks for your helpful reply. I have often wondered about having my sinuses flushed out as I can feel some mucous in the area of my nose and throat but it is almost impossible to clear this, either by blowing my nose or coughing. I will talk to my GP about FESS.

As I mentioned, the sore throat brings on a high degree of debilitation and it is this that is hardest to cope with. It's just difficult to understand why the throat takes so long to heal. If you can throw any light on this, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Throat infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Its hard to tell why throat takes a long time to heal. It depends on a few things like
1. Each individuals defense mechanism
2. Organism affecting the throat
3. Usage of antibiotics
4. Steps taken to control the throat infections. For example usage of betadine gargle leads to faster recovery, taking cold food and beverages delays healing, etc

If you wanted to know anything in particular then I will be happy to get back to you in detail

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar