• question-icon

Suggest remedy for dizziness when diagnosed with cervical spondylitis

Posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am 82 years old and have cervical spondylitis. I get dizziness, especially when I wake up. It is often associated with light pain in one ear. ENT tests have found that hearing is normal for the age. Physiotherapy prescribed by Orthopedic doctor has limited effect. Having 8 mg Vertin twice a day helps. How long can I have this medicine? What is the best exercise to keep this under control?
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
BPPV, Epley maneuver

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Since when you are experiencing dizziness?

Based on the information provided by you I feel it might be BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is the commonest type of peripheral vertigo. By the age of 60 years, at least one in three people will have experienced it and by the age of 80, the incidence is nearly 50%.
BPPV is self Limiting condition, it may last from few weeks to few months.

BPPV is not serious, that is why it is called benign. Over time it settles down. It is also not associated with any future problem. Only falls due to the vertigo are to be avoided. With re-positioning maneuvers and exercises, it can be cured. Medication is only important in the first few days.
Epley maneuver, is used. Either you can learn it by watching it on you tube or You can see an ENT specialist for this , the doctor would examine you and would also help you with the above maneuvers, learn it from a health professional and later carry out the same procedure at home.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ashwini Kolur