Suggest remedy for acid ingestion

Excellent

Question
I have suddenly developed acid indigedtion. Seems to have been triggred by getting the Shingles and breaking three ribs in the same 24 hours. Now I am getting ai after everything. Not usual for me at all.
Why? Ohn I also had an antibiotic and wonder should I just eat more yoghurt?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the yogurt may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Acid reflux or ingestion can be difficult to experience.

It is treated by lifestyle changes and medication if needed.

The yogurt, with probiotics, would help somewhat to ease your symptoms.

In addition you may need to alter your diet, this can help.

The dietary changes are:(1)small frequent meals instead of large infrequent meals- smaller meals would reduce acid production.

(2)reduce fatty foods

(3)reduce coffee, chocolate- both of these also worsen reflux

(4)avoid acidic foods such as tomato, citrus fruits. Also reduce mint, alcohol, carbonated drinks

(5)wait 2 hours after eating before laying down

If these changes are not enough to reduce your symptoms, you may want to consider medications.

The most effective medications are in the proton pump inhibitor family of drugs. This includes medications such as nexium, prevacid, protonix, prilosec

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for acid ingestion 14 minutes later
Thank you. I see I did a bit of a few of these things. One I do go along time tween meals, 2 I lay down to sleep straight after eating, 3 I never eat tomato and then had a very nice meal yesterday with lots of tomato, 4 I even had a ginge beer, fizzy sometinng I rarely do so I'll knowck out all of the above and see what happens.
I am also lining up to see a Nutrtionist as I feel I need a whole dietry change . And
I like coffee so I'll have to cut out or back at least!
Thanks a lot.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
feel free to contact with any other queries