question-icon

Suggest remedies for shingles

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: Hi I am 61 years old, I got shingles 10 XXXXXXX ,started with pain and after rush,to day rush almost gone but I still have pain,,I would like have shingles shot ,but in clinic ,they say. I have to wait for 6 month before I get shingles shot, because I still have it. Is it true? Can I have now shot?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

Generally we do recommend that you wait up to six months after having a true shingles outbreak before having the immunization.

your body is still recovering from the virus and we would want to give your body and immune system enough time to recover so that it can respond appropriately to the immunization.

I would recommend that you follow up as per your doctors recommendations and we do full six months before seeking the shingles vaccine.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist