Do open wounds exposed to stray dogs require a rabies injection?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Infections
Question: Hi, I am Amit. I have an open wound in my fingers. 2 days ago, I think but I am not sure, a stray dog licked it mistakenly. Should I take anti - rabies injection. I have been bitten 4 years ago and took the injection. Since Rabipur isn't available, I have got Vaxirab. Is it fine? What's the difference between Vaxirab and Vaxirab N? What is the dosage and how many injections I should take? Is it on 0,3,7,14 and 28?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vaxirab as well as Vaxirab N needs to be given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. In such a case it would be advisable to get Vaxirab N (anti-rabies immunoglobulin) as well as Vaxirab (inactivated vaccine made from a dead virus) in such a case wherein some time has already elapsed after the possible exposure. For Vaxirab, you need to take 0,3,7,14 and 28 although the opinion is divided on the utility of the last (28 day dose) vaccine.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 hours later
Hi Dr. Saha,

Thanks a lot for your valuable advise. Is Vaxirab N same as Equirab? Is Vaxirab N to be given only once unlike Vaxirab that is administered 5 times over a period of a month? Also, is it necessary to take Vaxirab N as I am taking the full 5 dosage of Vaxirab?

Moreover, Vaxirab should be administered intramuscular way (in the arms), correct?

If I'm not wrong, Vaxirab N is similar to Equirab and is injected near the area of bite or exposure. But, I haven't been bitten as such; the animal just licked the open crack in my skin.

Nevertheless, I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Amit

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only one dose of Vaxirab N is needed

Detailed Answer:
Yes, Vaxirab N is similar to Equirab (just different brands) and need to be given only once. It need not necessarily be infiltrated locally and can be given intramuscular.

Vaxirab is given intramuscular.

The question is whether the dig was rabid. If the dog was not rabid you do not need any of the shots. But if the dog was rabid, and since rabies is a lethal disease, you cannot possibly take the risk.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 minutes later
Thank you for answering my queries. Is it okay if I start the Vaxirab vaccination today and take Vaxirab N or Equirab injection later, say tomorrow or day after? I want to know if it is fine to take Equirab or Vaxirab N in middle of the 5 dosages of vaccination or is it important to take it along with the first dosage of Vaxirab? Please do let me know.

Is Vaxirab N and Vaxirab same? There is confusion as I have bought 5 dosages of Vaxirab N. I am looking for Equirab. But I am told that Vaxirab N and Equirab are same and of differrent brand. But, Vaxirab N is like Rabipur and should be taken 5 times spanned across the month (0,3,7,14,28).
Brief Answer:
You have purchased the wrong medicine

Detailed Answer:
Vaxirab N needs to be taken within 24 hours or none at all. It is not same as Vaxirab. Vaxirab N is same as Equirab. You have purchased 5 of the wrong medicine. Vaxirab is same as Rabipur and 5 doses of this needs to be taken.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj