• question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe chest pain

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: After an evening of strenuous working with a roto tiller in my garden, I had pain in my chest. Not a sharp pain, but a deep pain. I wasn't sure if it was muscular or heart. But, when I went to bed, and I layer on my right side, it became much more prominate.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back again on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be caused by a musculo-skeletal pain.

The fact that the pain appeared after strenuous physical activity goes in favor of a musculo-skeletal pain, probably a stretched muscle.

The fact that the pain is more prominent when lying on the right side is another argument in favor of chest pain.

This fact also excludes any possible cardiac issue, because chest pain in myocardial ischemia is relieved by resting and is not modulated by any body position. So, relax and don't worry about it!

Have you tried taking any painkillers (acetaminophen or ibuprofen)? If they help relieve the pain, it would be another argument in favor of musculo-skeletal pain.

I would recommend trying painkillers and having some rest in the next hours.

If the pain is relived by the above tips, you should not worry about it, because it would be a temporary pain related to inflammation or stretched muscle.

If the pain persists despite the above tips, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any other questions whenever you need!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist