Suggest remedies for scabs on the scalp

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been having an on and off issue with my scalp for a few years now. my scalp produces scab like crust that I come off like scabs when scatched. what coulf i possibly have a problem with and are there any solutions?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
You seem to have Seborrheic Dermatitis which presents as redness, itching and greasy / yellowish, adherent scaling on scalp..
I suggest you to use an antiseborrheic shampoo e.g eithet a ketoconazole 2% shampoo (nizoral shampoo), daily or every alternate days OR a preferably a Coal tar + Salicylic acid based shampoo. Lather it well on to wet scalp and allow it to act for 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
In addition you may use a topical steroid lotion e.g Mometasone furoate 0.1% lotion for overnight application on scalp.
These are prescription medications and I suggest you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.

regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana