Suggest remedies for open sores in the mouth

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, what is considered an "open sore", specifically in the mouth? I get abrasions just on the inside of my mouth from crunchy food or spicy food. They never bleed, they just look like small blisters. Not swollen up, it just looks like a white thin film covering of the area. I'm asking because I have a blood phobia and want to better understand what an open sore is and if I would obviously know if I had one. Would I have a lot of bloood in my mouth making it obvious if it was an open sore? My concern is that if these are open sores in might be a point of infection for germs or viruses. Thank you for your time. Getting the right information does help with my health phobias.

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Canker sores are open sores

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

First of all, you don't need to worry these are canker sores and have nothing to do with blood. These are just ulcers and can occur due to many reasons such as:

- vitamin deficiency
- viral infection
- spicy food
- thermal or physical injury

Most of the cases, it heals within a week but sometimes it persists for around 3 weeks. In case it takes more than a month then consult an oral surgeon and get a biopsy done. In the meantime, take fruits and diet rich in vitamins. Apply some topical anesthetic gel-like Orasep for the pain reliever.

Consult your dentist only if the problem persists...

Hope I answered your query
Let me know if I can assist you further,

Kind regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 2 hours later
Hi again,

So a canker sore or a blister in my mouth does not provide access to my bloodstream? My concern is that if I had eaten food contaminated with a virus that it might have access to my bloodstream through that sore.

What I am also wondering is if it would have to be an actively bleeding sore for that risk to occur.

I'm just confused because I've read that open sores provide access for viruses like Hep C. Is that true or would I have to have a major cut inside of my mouth for there to be a risk?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No open sores don't have any access to blood

Detailed Answer:
hi

No canker sores or open sores have no direct connection with blood.
It needs to bleed for having blood connection. Moreover these are very common. So don't worry.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist