• question-icon

Suggest remedies for occasional dizziness in a diabetic

Posted on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I occasionally get dizzy spells lasting a few seconds, mostly when I am working in office on my computer or when seated at home watching TV. At such times I grip the chair and the spell subsides. Once I got it while walking, lost my balance and fell slowly. I usually can sense when it is coming and quickly wear a cervical collar which seems to work. I am 60 diabetic over-weight and have a desk-job. I need to travel overseas next month and want to be safe. A doctor suggested a course of Vertigon tablets and a full check-up. What is a quick preventive remedy or precaution?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Carotid doppler and Aspirin

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

What you experience is not benign and needs to be investigated thoroughly. Temporary dizzy spells can be an indication of stroke as well. If the blood supply to the brain is slowed because of various reasons it should be dealt strongly.
With two high risk factors of diabetes and high blood pressure I think you should not be left uninvestigated.
In my patients I often advise ECG, Carotid doppler to check for intimal thickness. Yeah you may be right cervical spondylosis can also cause dizzy spells and neck rotations can impair the supply.
In such a case neck exercises are important. I also suggest Aspirin and Clopidogrel if you are not taking them.
Before you travel I suggest a full work up including blood sugar, liver function, renal function, cartoid doppler, ECG and MRI cerival vertebrae.
Definitely a course of vertigon will help and they can help you during your trip as well.

Let me know other concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Thank you. I will take it seriously as advised. I forgot to mention that I have had intermittent ear infections from childhood which has also reduced hearing partially in one ear. Could this also be a reason ? What specialist should I visit or should I first go for a full master check-up. I did get one done last year and was found to be generally okay.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably not

Detailed Answer:

Reduced hearing probably not be blamed in entirety. There could be multiple reasons as I said. It could be degeneration because of irregular and stressful lifestyle. It could be cardiac.

Repeat the master health check up with emphasis on carotid doppler, Xray cervical spine and ENT examination.

The related specialists will be consulted as part of the check up.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam