Suggest remedies for a torn pectorial muscle in chest wall

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 28 year old son was having chest pain with swelling on the right side of his chest. He was diagnosed with a torn pectorial muscle. I sought out second opinion and they found a large chest wall tumor between his sternum and ribs. He has had 2 surgeries and is now scheduled for anterior chest wall reconstruction. The mass has still not been identified, it is at the mayo clinic in california. Do you think that removing and replacing his upper ribs is premature ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not premature but essential

Detailed Answer:

Chest wall is made of muscles, cartilage and bones arranged in complex design to protect the vital internal organs and assist in breathing. Its a dynamic structure. Any tumor are structure hampering its regular mobility can lead to serious complications. Complications being paralysis of the chest muscles to gradual development of structural deformity. Both of which are hazardous on a long run.

It is for his best the tumor is removed.

Need not worry. Muscle cartilage and bone heal well. Reconstruction will surely be fruitful.

As far as the tumor is concerned, I would recommend you to follow up with the histopathology report of the tumor mass. The type and grade of the tumor can tell what it might have done to the chest wall and if there is need to look for secondaries.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please rate the same with five stars and close.

If in future you need to consult me, you can approach me directly through the below link.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-raju-a-t/60137