Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest pain treatment clinics in or around Ohio

Answered by
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 3149 Questions

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My aunt just called to tell me that my uncle, age 75, is in such pain from the chronic neuropathy in his legs and feet that he has started expressing suicidal ideations in the last day or so. They live in NW Ohio and he has received treatment from several physicians in the last several years. He has had two or three back surgeries. I believe he was on Fentanyl but has been taken off of it for well-publicized reasons. I believe he is now on Percocet, to very little effect. A few years ago, well after the onset of his back issues, he was treated for an infection with an antibiotic and soon thereafter experienced extreme exacerbation of his peripheral neuropathic pain. He and my aunt were told that it was probably the result of the antibiotic, which I believe was Ciprofloxacin. My aunt and my uncle's daughters are at their wits' end about where to turn. In desperation they would like to try medical marijuana, which is not yet legal in Ohio. I question the efficacy of this treatment, but again, they are desperate. My question is: where are the closest reputable paint treatment clinics/centers that can give him a thorough workup? They are in extreme SSSS, close to XXXX and XXXX. I believe the specialists he has seen until now have been affiliated with the University of XXXXXXX Medical School. He is in such pain that he can no longer bear to sit in an automobile.
Grateful for your guidance,
Very Worried Nephew (in XXXX)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurosciences at the University of XXXX.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

There are several treatment ways for peripheral neuropathy despite the cause, these include antiseizure drugs ( gabapentin, pregabalin), antidepressants ( amitryptiline, duloxetine ), etc.

Medical marijuana also could result in some symptomatic relief in such cases.

I think your relative should be examined and treated at: Migraine, Headache, Face and Nerve Pain: Headache and Neuropathic Pain at XXXX Building, 000-0000000 since he lives nearby.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Pregabalin

doctor1 MD

I have been noticing tiny bubbles in my urine for the past couple of weeks. During this time, I ran out of my blood pressure meds and went about 8 days before getting the refill. During that time I gained about 8 lbs water weight. My hands and feet were swelling and also in the am my eyes were very puffy. At the end of the day I really had no ankles due to the swelling there. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, however it does not explain my blood work which showed the blood antigens were high and also the inflamation. At first they thought I had Lupus, but not enough symptoms to confirm, so I was told that I do not have lupus but I do have fibromyalgia. Since then I have noticed on a couple of occations that I have had ranauds symptoms in my toes. I have also noticed a very faint redness across my nose and in my cheek area under my eyes, but no redness around my eyes (I kinda look like a racoon with white eyes). I am currently taking Lyrica and Cymbalta along with my Lisinopril/Hctz. I guess my question is could this new symptom with the bubbles in the urine be an indicator that I do have Lupus?

doctor1 MD

Hi There!
I am male, 57 years old, with negative H/O diabetes and HTN. I had Herpes zoster two years involving right sided trigerminal nerve affecting the entire right side of my face especially the eye. Iam still suffering from post herpetic neuralgia (continuous burning pain on the right side. I am on lyrica 150 mg twice a day. But the burning pain never subsides. Is there any other better treatment for PHN?
Thanks and regards

doctor1 MD

My husband has diagnostic neuropathy in his feet and it burns like a thousand bees are stinging him on the foot. He has taken gabapentin 3600 mgs and lyrica with the Gabapentin. And it did not work and now he is on cymbalta and oxytocin is not working either Is there a surgery where they can stop the nerves from burning by deadening the nerves and he doesn t care if he has no feeling after the surgery . This is a last resort for him. Thank you so very much. God Bless to you Andrea

doctor1 MD

I am a fibromyalgia patient who started lyrica 4 weeks ago to manage my pain symptoms; however, I am having problems with blisters in my mouth, blurred vision, leg cramps and joint pain. On top of that, I have also gained 10 pounds in these 4 weeks. Would cymbalta have the same issues, or should I try to pursue that medication (insurance denied the first attempted and wanted me to fail a trial of Gabapentin first)...

doctor1 MD

My entire right arm keeps falling asleep whenever I sleep, regardless of my position. This has been happening for over a week. I have a history of both stroke and neuropathy. I am a 54 yr old woman.

doctor1 MD

Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right leg at the knee, and above, and the right buttock. It s sharp, stabbing pain in the knee and buttock. Nothing seems to help it (e.g. Ibuprofen , changing position (standing, sitting, laying,...

doctor1 MD

I am on 10-325 Percocet for back cronic back pain . It doesn't work any more. What would be the next step up to ask my doctor for?