Suggest pain treatment clinics in or around Ohio

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My aunt just called to tell me that my uncle, age 75, is in such pain from the chronic neuropathy in his legs and feet that he has started expressing suicidal ideations in the last day or so. They live in NW Ohio and he has received treatment from several physicians in the last several years. He has had two or three back surgeries. I believe he was on Fentanyl but has been taken off of it for well-publicized reasons. I believe he is now on Percocet, to very little effect. A few years ago, well after the onset of his back issues, he was treated for an infection with an antibiotic and soon thereafter experienced extreme exacerbation of his peripheral neuropathic pain. He and my aunt were told that it was probably the result of the antibiotic, which I believe was Ciprofloxacin. My aunt and my uncle's daughters are at their wits' end about where to turn. In desperation they would like to try medical marijuana, which is not yet legal in Ohio. I question the efficacy of this treatment, but again, they are desperate. My question is: where are the closest reputable paint treatment clinics/centers that can give him a thorough workup? They are in extreme SSSS, close to XXXX and XXXX. I believe the specialists he has seen until now have been affiliated with the University of XXXXXXX Medical School. He is in such pain that he can no longer bear to sit in an automobile.
Grateful for your guidance,
Very Worried Nephew (in XXXX)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurosciences at the University of XXXX.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

There are several treatment ways for peripheral neuropathy despite the cause, these include antiseizure drugs ( gabapentin, pregabalin), antidepressants ( amitryptiline, duloxetine ), etc.

Medical marijuana also could result in some symptomatic relief in such cases.

I think your relative should be examined and treated at: Migraine, Headache, Face and Nerve Pain: Headache and Neuropathic Pain at XXXX Building, 000-0000000 since he lives nearby.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana