What causes less improvement in chronic back pain despite taking Percocet?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Pain Management
Question: I am on 10-325 Percocet for back cronic back pain. It doesn't work any more. What would be the next step up to ask my doctor for?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Other painkillers to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Probably opioids tolerance occurred, so, I think you should ask your Doctor about switching between painkillers, for example, using antiseizure drugs such Pregabalin, or antidepressants with good antineuralgic properties such as Amitryptiline, Duloxetine, etc.

Please remember to discuss with your Doctor about tapering off Percocet, not stopping it cold turkey.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 18 minutes later
Thanks.
However these don't sound like pain meds, are they?
My problem specifically is narrowing of the spine and arthritis of the spine. (Non Surgical available.) So pain is always.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are pain management drugs too.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

The drugs mentioned in our previous discussion are used widely as antineuralgic drugs too, with satisfactory results in our day to day clinical practice, so, they are actually considered as pain management drugs.

Please discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 8 minutes later
Thanks. Ill print this out and discuss with doctor on my appointment 12 15.
Thanks again. XXXX
Brief Answer:
You're most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to discuss with us about your health issues in future.

In good health.