Suggest methods to detox Marijuana from system

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: Haven't smoked marijuana for approximately 40 days and have a drug screen next Tuesday, four days from now. Can't find a detox drink here on Cape Cod...do you know of one that can be purchased somewhere in Massachusetts or that can be delivered to my home by Monday over the Holiday Weekend. I did an over the counter one at CVS and passed but I'm still nervous.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are mostly junk.

Detailed Answer:
Obviously detox drinks are not approved/tested/endorsed by the FDA nor any other legitimate service. On the other hand, 40 days often is long enough to be cleared unless the person used habitually with a lot of build up in deep tissues. Depends entirely on individual (and unpredictable) characteristics of use, size, liver, fat distribution, and many other features.

THere are fairly reasonable over the counter testing strips for marijuana. They are not totally reliable and will not necessarily give the same results as a professional mass spectroscopy service BUT, they can give input into how worried one might be.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 16 minutes later
Does drinking lots of water or B2 or B12 complex help or creatine supplements
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:
b2, b12, creatine... no, just no. They just do not change the liver's activity, unless you have beriberi (vitamin deficiency .. requires 1-2 weeks of true starvation).
While diluting urine does dilute the urine.... (so, if the cutoff of sensitivity is 38.93... your level with concentrated urine is 47.2 and you dilute your urine tw0-fold it drops to 23.56.. below detection... the concentration of the urine IS also measured. Getting too diluted of a urine will be counted as a FAILURE.. best NOT to try. Don't be dehydrated, but don't overload water).

Mainly the over the counter testing using the most sensitive, lowest cut off at the pharmacy is a way to see where someone is at prior to the real test. There can be marijuana popping out of fat if the person starved and lost fat, so, trying NOT to lose weight immediately before a urine test would perhaps be wise.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist