Suggest methods for removal of ingrown hair

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've been told this is caused by ingrown hairs looking for something I can find to remove them
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload another good quality image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am D. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
I can see skin/ flesh coloured raised lesions. However the image is not very clear. It is blurred. Anyways they don't really look like ingrown hairs and I would like to rule out possibility of warts. I request you to upload a clear image so that I am able to confirm.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
here you go
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Image not received

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. I still see the same image. Didn't get any new image.
Kindly try uploading the images again Or you may mail me the images at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of the mail as Attention: Dr. kakkar.
Contact customer care team if you face problems.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
ok
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ingrown hair

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

Yes indeed they are ingrown hairs. Not warts. I suggest you to avoid shaving your head as it would predispose to ingrown hair.
For the present condition you may take an oral antibiotic e.g doxycycline 100mg, twice daily for 3 - 4 weeks. You will need prescription for it.
In addition I suggest you to use an antibacterial cream/ ointment e.g either 2% mupirocin or bacitracin ointment or neosporin ointment( neomycin, polymyxin B), twice daily.

so is there no way to get rid of them?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let the hair grow. Avoid shaving.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Avoid shaving your head altogether, to prevent recurrence. For existing lesions i suggest oral doxycycline and application of topical antibiotic ointment as discussed in my earlier reply.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
can you recommend something that I can buy from Walmart
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding ingrown hairs

Detailed Answer:
hi.

you can surely find a topical antibiotic e.g Neosporin ointment from a local drug store, however oral antibiotics are available only on prescription.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana