Suggest medication to stimulate breast tissue growth in men

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Good day,
I am 40 year old white man who is interested in developing female breasts to some extent. I am realistic and not looking for a full male to female transition. Currently, I'm 5'8" 200 lbs with a handful of man breasts already. Again, I'm not willing to transition full time and just need my male breasts to look more feminine. So, what medication should I consider taking to achieve my goal ? will my current breasts tissue help ?
I forgot to mention that I am very healthy, do periodic doctor check ups, never smoked and never consumed alcohol or any drugs.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Estradiol (estrace) is one of the more potent estrogens.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I think the type of practitioner that would be able to guide you best would be someone who specializes in transgender care, even if you are not looking to fully go that route.

If you are looking to feminize your breasts, taking estradiol orally or with a patch will help. Progestins probably will have less effect. Anti androgen (demasculinizing) medications will help the estrogen work better, but it sounds like you are wanting only minimal effect.

The dosage of estradiol and adjustments to dosage depend on measured testosterone levels.

Another option, given that you already have some fatty breast tissue, is to wear an underwire bra that pushes up the breasts you already have. This might give the effect you are looking for without messing with your hormones.

I hope this information helps.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Thank you. This is helpful. However, how do I get Estradiol (Estrace) ? can it be purchased online ? if yes, any reliable source you know of ? I also heard that injections give better and faster results. Do you recommend that I try that ?
What are the chances of developing some female-like breasts at my age ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best way to get estradiol:

Detailed Answer:
I think that at least to start with, the safest way to get Esterace would be to find a trans-knowledgeable doctor. I see that you are in New York, so there should be someone to help there. I am recommending as least starting with a physician rather than online because the doctor can measure your current level of male hormones and adjust the dose of estradiol accordingly. They can also give you a prescription which you can get filled from a regular pharmacy which would provide the most safety. And if there is an online site that is reliable source, they will likely know as they will have other patients using it. But I am sorry I do not know of a reliable source.

Injections of medications often are a more direct route of access as it bypasses the variable of how much is absorbed via the digestive tract. I am not an expert in hormone delivery, but other than providing a more reliable delivery route, it would still take time for hormones to have their effect, regardless of their route.

I am not a specialist in trans-care, and unfortunately I do not think we have one on this site. I do know that hormonal changes can have an effect at any age. Likely the effects will be slow and not extreme. And the effects will also depend on your own level of testosterone.