Suggest medication for motion sickness in a child

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: Son who is 5 yrs, 10 months, sometime feels motion sickness on hilly car drive. We are travelling tomorrow. Could you suggest a medicine and dosage and how and when to take. He is 26kg.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Promethazine may be given to control motion sickness

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The vestibulo cochlear apparatus of our inner ear governs the sense of balance. Due to some reason when excessive stimulation occurs, it gives rise to a dizzy sensation, what we commonly refer to as vertigo or simply motion sickness on hilly car drive. AvomineĀ (Promethazine theoclate) half of a 25 mg tablet given 30 mins before onset of the journey should help in preventing such motion sickness from devleloping. The dose needs to be repeated again in similar manner before the next journey begins.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 hours later
Thanks doctor. We have never tried tablets. Is there a liquid form option available ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Syrup available but in combination

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Syrup containing a combination of Promethazine and Codeine is available and can be given safely. It contains Promethazine 6.25 mg per 5 ml. For your child 7.5-10 ml would be reasonable to be given.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
thanks Doc. Can you please let me know the brand name ? thanks.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple brands available

Detailed Answer:
The following brand names contain promethazine 5 mg/ 5 ml. Give 10 ml to your child:
* Premagan syr, Phenzee Elixir, Phenamin syr, XXXXXXX syr.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician