Suggest medication for hives while breast feeding

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Since last night i am having hives on full body. Also I delivered baby one month back and now I am breastfeeding my child. Last year also I suffered with hives during this month. Doctor gave me Allegra 120 and it was cured. Please suggest me some medication for the same which is safe during feeding.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear XXXXX , Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Yes hives can be pretty bothersome at this phase specially when the summer's coming in full motion..

First thing I'd like to tell you that none of the antihistamines is excreted in the breast milk in an appreciable amount so as to have any adverse effects on the breastfeeding infant..

Now that being said, there are still some of them enlisted higher-risk while some are placed at relatively lower risk..

Don't worry about them , but it's better to avoid Allegra for now (good that you've done so..)

So for now I'd advice you start with Tab LORATADINE with a very minimal dosage i.e. 5 mg Once Daily for next 2 days and observe if it's bringing the hives down or not (You need to check in to your local physician to get a prescription for this).. If you still feel there's no desired effect you may take an additional dose of 5 mg , and report back to me about your progress..

Also try to use cooling and soothing solutions like Aloe-vera lotion and Lacto-calamine lotion, it'll help you a lot and also fasten the recovery process..

Please stay well hydrated, that's really important..at least drink 3-4 ltr of water per day for the time being..

Don't worry , you'll be feeling better within a few days only..

Let me know how you stay..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee