Suggest dosage for Lisinopril

Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Diabetes
Question: i have type 2 diabetes which is pretty well controled. my blood pressure is between 90/70 and a high of 113/70. why would i have to take lsinopril 2.5mg. my doctor prescribed this medication as a prophylactic dose to prevent problems in the future. is that a good reason to take this medication. my pulse is 66 per minute and i weigh 156 lb.s i am 5ft 2 inches tall. i dont want to take medications like this unless it is really necessary.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for writing to hcm. You are taking a very small dose of lisinopril and your bp is well within the range. In fact in the lower side of normal. You need treatment only if bp exceeds 140/90. Lisinopril is indicated of you have albumin in the urine which would indicate a kidney disease. If your bp has always been less than 140/90 and if you have no history of having albumin in the urine and no history of heart disease you can most certainly stop it. Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 2 hours later
thank you so much for your answer. what i would like to know is why my dr. would prescribe this medication as a preventive measure. is there any valid reason for him to prescribe this medication. i have never had blood pressure issues and i am concerned that this medication can lower my blood pressure too much. i havent started taking this medication and will wait for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not very clear

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. Sorry for the delay in reply. Well, I am uncertain why he/she would want to give you the medication unless absolutely indicated. Like I mentioned earlier, if you have no albumin in the urine and if you have no history of heart disease and if your BP has always been less than 140/90 you DO NOT NEED the medication. You can and should discuss it with your physician. Please do not take it now. Wishing you good health. Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad