Suggest diet when suffering from high BP and diabetes

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Diabetes
Question: HI,

My mother is 60 years old and has high BP and diabetes. Please let me know what kind of diet she should follow? How can she reduce BP and diabetes?
Does she have to take medicines forever? Cant the BP and sugar be stabilized and medicines be stopped?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing called diabetic diet

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
noted your concern. The diet any healthy individual should follow is the diet for a person with diabetes and hypertension. A diet which is low in fat and salt, and low in carbohydrates is a good diet. May I ask you how long she has been having diabetes for ? What is her Hba1c level? I may be able to answer better with these informations. Most diabetes and diabetes patients need mediations life long. But we may be able to modify if strict diet control and exercise are followed .
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist