Suggest diet for fibromyalgia treatment

Posted on Fri, 30 May 2014 in Ayurveda
Question: Thank you, I am an overweight woman with fibromyalgia. I keep my weight down by drinking green diet tea , like Lipton's when I get thirsty or hungry. I see that it contains that thing that is hard to spell, let alone pronounce, phenyl....these drinks have 0 calories. how much of this stuff is in them, and does it harm me? I take several meds to control my FB, Savella, Lyrica, methadone, and then Nuvigil about 3 times a week so I can wake up and get going and have a normal day once in a while. Am I hurting myself or making my FM worse? I know Asparta ? spelling...sweetner is not good and I do avoid it. That is all. I appreciate any information I can gain. I am 68 and have no other health issues except that horrible FM. I do eat as low a carbohydrate diet as I can, but besides avoiding flour all the time,and sugar when I can, I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fibromyalgia & Ayurveda Management.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX

Thanks for contacting with your health concern and since you are a diagnosed case, you are under regular guidance of your attending physician/doctor, and being a Naturopath I have duly summed up your case and came with following suggestions and preventive aspect:

1. since aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause fibromyalgia, thus also avoid phenylalanine derived food: meat,eggs,fish,cheese, products containing aspartame, almonds,beef,legumes, nuts,peanuts, pork, pumpkin/sesame seeds, soyabean/flour.

2. Fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory condition, and because there is no identifiable cause thus treatment is symptomatic, as a result both pharmacological and non pharmacological measures are used as adjuvant to get a good control of pain and extended symptom free period, such as:

. Relaxation and stress management [stress is trigger response to fibromyalgia symptoms], thus yoga & Pranayama are helpful

. Physiotherapy: wax massage, ultrasound/infra red technique to minimize pain.

. Diet rich in omega 3 is considered helpful in alleviating fibromyalgia symptoms.

. In Ayurveda we consider/manage the disease under 'Mans-Medo Gat Vaat', thus prescription medicines available are: chandraprabha vati, navak guggulu, trifla kwath,panchskar churan, navkarshik guggulu.

PS. you may opt for DLPA (D-L-phenylalanine) which is not habit forming, and has no known side effects, and is available in health food stores.

Do revert back for any clarification and concern

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist