Suggest an alternative medication for Hydrocortisone taken for eczema

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a eczema for a long time and have several red patches that have been treated with various emollients and ointments from hydrocortisone , benovate and emuvoate . I have now developed Ezema also on my face and scalp as become very itchy and flaky. Is there tablet alternatives to helping with the treatment with Ezema .. As seen in other comments about Ezema my skin clears up when I go abroad due to the hot weather but maintaing the condition of the skin doesn't change the appearance. I have had a dermatologist look at it a few years back and take scrapings but the results came back that it wasn't fungi
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
unfortunately there are no oral options for this condition

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Itchy flaky scalp and face are commonly symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis, it is similar to eczema. Dermatitis is inflammation of the skin

It is understandable to be frustrated with the use of different creams but unfortunately there are no tablets that are used for this condition.

TREATMENT(a)
The use of topical steroids for this condition, in these areas, is restricted to a few days only because they tend to foster dependence since they cause a rebound effect and they may also hasten recurrences.
This means that you should use the steroids- betnovate, eumovate or hydrocortisone for three to five days to treat an acute flare up of the seborrheic dermatitis (not referring to your normal eczema)

(b) though a fungus was not found in your normal eczema, there is usually a response to an anti fungal when used to treat seborrheic dermatitis

You can consider trying ketoconazole cream or ciclopirox cream or gels to the face

(c)use of any hair gels or pomades should be stopped for now

(d)wash your hair more frequently than normal, lather for a longer period of time

(e)shampoos containing salicylic acid, tar, selenium or zinc are very effective for the scalp and may be alternated.
You can obtain two of these, consider adding a ketoconazole or ciclopirox shampoo to the schedule

If there is no improvement, you may need to consider revisiting your dermatologist for reassessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions