Suggest alternative medication for Ecosprin

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I was experiencing belching and chest pain in the centre constantly since nov2015....started taking rekool as i was diagnosed GERD and chronic gastritis a year before...i am also taking telemisarten for BP... am also diagnised for cervical spondolysus (C4-C6) since 2013...in XXXXXXX 2016 i also started feeling dizi and imbalance feeling for whole days sometime...my stress echo was normal and cardiologist said it was due to mix of cervical and gastritis...he additionaly advised ecosprine AV as my total cholestrol was 200..HDL 48 and LDL 134.. my gastroentologist says i should not take ecosprine....what to do...whome to follow....gastro or cardio...my chest pain and belching have now subsided by 90%
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aspirin is not justified in your case

Detailed Answer:
Hello , I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern.

As a cardiologist I would like to put it clear that the era has gone when just for prophylaxis one used to give Ecosprin.

High cholesterol ( its just borderline ) for you and hypertension per say are not justification for giving aspirin .

Also particularly in your case there you have stomach issue , I would refrain you from taking Ecosprin without evidence of heart problem , as no studies have proven beneficial role of aspirin prophylaxis.

You may take plain Atorvastatin 10 mg at night instead on Ecosprin-AV combination.
Now for heart evaluation stress echo rules out a spiny significant disease in the heart .

Now if we individualize your case it might be ok to do a CT coronary angiogram ( CT scan ) , and if calcium score is high or there are some plaques it's justified to start a blood thinner .
Also particularly for you, Clopidogrel is a better choice as compared to aspirin as it causes less of gastritis.

Hoping I could resolve your doubt.
If any clarification needed I would be happy to help.

Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee