Suggest home remedies for chronic gastritis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been recently diagnosed with an ulcer and chronic gastritis can you please tell me what I can do at home to reduce symptoms am currently on prilosec
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Ginger will be beneficial for you, can take it lukewarm water daily.

Take lots of papayas daily.
Take coconut water to help with gastritis and ulcers.

Take one glass of ice cold milk twice daily (if you're not intolerant to milk).
Do not lie down for 2-3 hrs after eating.
Avoid acidic foods - citrus, tomatoes, juices

Decrease caffeine (colas, coffee) and sodas in general.
It'd be better to reduce alcohol (if at all do) or completely stop it.

If you smoke cigarettes, now is the time to stop. They increase acid production and delay healing.
If you are overweight through the middle, that increases the risk of reflux. Try to decrease your weight (if overweight) slowly over time.

Eat smaller amounts at a time so there is less pressure in the stomach which can reflux acid into the stomach.

Avoid eating/drinking mint (it relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter which can allow more acid up).

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee