Suggest alternate over the counter medication for Losartan

Dr. Rini

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been on Edarbi 80 Mg tablets for 6 years; and my prescription coverage has just dropped it. They are suggesting that I switch to either Losartan or Valsartan. I will talk to my Dr about this. My husband is on Valsartan and is doing well. Are these drugs in the same family as the Edarbi? I have gotten reactions to drugs such as Losinopril. It caused a rash. The same has happened to diuretics. What my question is; are theses two drugs close to the Edarbi; and do they commonly cause side effects. I have had no problem with the Edarbi.
Answered by Dr. Rini 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Yes, Edarbi is Azilsartan which is AT 1 antagonist class of antihypertensive.
Yes, losartan; candesartan; azilsartan all belong to same class of medicines and have the same side effects.

However lisinopril is ACE inhibitor and side effects are different from Edarbi.

Let me know if there's any further queries.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rini 26 minutes later
Thank you so much for your time and help! I have tolerated Edarbi with no side effects. I also take 1 Amlodopine and 2 Labatalol and all works well. Our Dr. Prescribed the Diovan(Valsartan) for my husband; so he may have me try that.
Again,
thank you XXXXXXX Cheatham
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rini 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome!

Good luck